How long does a bee sting allergic reaction last?

Severe pain or burning at the site lasts 1 to 2 hours. Normal swelling from venom can increase for 48 hours after the sting. The redness can last 3 days. The swelling can last 7 days.

How long does it take to have an allergic reaction to a wasp sting?

Large local reactions are characterized by redness and swelling that extends from the sting site over a large surrounding area. These reactions often peak within 48 to 72 hours and last up to 10 days.

What is the best treatment for a bee sting?

One of the simplest and most effective remedies for a bee sting is applying ice to the affected area. Use a towel or other thin cloth between the ice and skin, and apply for no more than 20 minutes at a time to prevent damage from the cold.

How to treat if someone allergic to bee sting?

Remove any stingers immediately.

  • Applying ice to the site may provide some mild relief.
  • Taking an antihistamine such as diphenhydramine ( Benadryl) or a nonsedating one such as loratadine ( Claritin) will help with itching and swelling.
  • Take acetaminophen ( Tylenol) or ibuprofen ( Motrin )for pain relief as needed.
  • What to do for bee sting allergy?

    Treatment Severe allergic sting reactions should be treated with epinephrine or adrenaline, either administered by a medical professional or self-injected. Calamine lotion with an analgesic or Caladryl can calm the pain and itching of a bee sting within approximately 45 minutes.

    What causes an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting?

    People who have large local reactions may be allergic to wasp stings, but don’t experience life-threatening symptoms, such as anaphylactic shock. Large local reactions to wasp stings include extreme redness and swelling that increases for two or three days after the sting. Nausea and vomiting can also occur.